Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Make Your Own Hydrosol from any plant material! (DIY)

I recently discovered rose hydrosol compliments to my essential oils subscription box from SimplyEarth.com!  Rose is not my favorite scent, but it is mild and an effective toner.

Another local subscriber that I've become acquainted with 'in real life,' mentioned that she makes her own.  After a couple of very conflicting methods viewed on YouTube videos, I was picking dandelion flowers from my backyard to get started on my first ever homemade hydrosol!

Here is how I set up my make-shift distillery...
I removed the handle from my steamer basket.  Placed my plant material around that.

 Then laid out the steamer basket plates and poured in water enough to cover the flowers/leaves (cold tap water).
Then I placed my 'catch bowl' where your steam distilled hydrosol will end up!

Set a tight-fitting bowl on top.  On low heat, get the water hot.  Once the water is hot (very low simmer), add a tray of ice cubes to the top bowl.  This cools/condenses the steam and makes it drip down the top bowl into your 'catch bowl inside).  When the ice melts, pour out the contents of the top bowl and replace the ice.  Do this on low heat for 1 hour.  Then turn it all off to cool.  Collect your hydrosol from the catch bowl.  I wanted to let it cool quickly, so I put mine into a heatproof jar.  Once it comes to room temperature, you can put it into a dispenser.  Since there is no sugar, starch, fiber, etc., there is nothing for mold to feed on.  Your hydrosol can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 year without preservatives!

Hydrosol is clear, though my photo is quite yellow.

This is a healing/hydrating skin toner!  Imagine taking this from the fridge and misting it on to cool the skin after getting some sun out of doors!  I also swab mine onto my face with a cotton round.

The dandelion smelled fresh, earthy, and more floral than I had expected.
I cannot wait to experiment with sage, lilac, cucumber, and more this summer!



No comments: