Saturday, December 29, 2018

NEW PRODUCT: Comfrey & Chamomile Cuticle Oil by Kinsmade

Comfrey & Chamomile Cuticle Oil by Kinsmade
Not long after heading down the nail art rabbit hole, I wanted to create my own signature cuticle oil.  I have a pretty solid background in herbs, healthy living, and home remedies--well, at least enough to know that I wasn't interested in buying up what is out there on the market.  Even indie makers seem to be simply waging a fragrance war, instead of being true to skin and nails, and consumers are gobbling it up hand and fist.  One of my nail art buddies made the comment that if she could find a product that actually gave her stronger, longer nails she wouldn't care if it smelled like fish sauce--she would buy it!

So, I started brainstorming...supposing I spare no expense...what would be the perfect cuticle oil?  First, I drew on my own knowledge and skin care needs.  Then, I researched extensively (yeah, I'm that girl!).  I wanted to create a fragrance free, preservative free formula that was inoffensive in odor, that would not stain or trigger nut allergies, and that would be anti-microbial and antioxidant.  It needed to have moisturizers that soaked in and moisturizers that remained on the skin to serve as a barrier.  (NOTE: hydration happens from consuming water internally.  Lotions and oils just keep water from leaving through the skin.)  The oil needed to have a good feeling on the skin and a decent shelf-life.  Of course, healthy nail growth would be a mighty big bonus!

My first inclination was to add an ingredient or two for each desired affect, to cover all my bases.  But as I researched, I found that in order to go "all out" I needed to rein it in!  Instinctively, I had a few 'proven winner' ingredients that I had already gravitated toward in my personal skin care.  Rice bran oil made the most luxurious bath bombs ever!   (We had made them as party favors for a baby shower and guests were asking where to get more!)  So I had thought to add it for a barrier oil.  It contains an antioxidant more potent than Vitamin E which alleviates the need for preservatives.  I knew I wanted to incorporate the herb comfrey because it is believed to encourage healing and growth on the cellular level.  So I had to find an oil suitable for cold herbal infusion method.  Rice bran oil was very high-ranking for this use.  Rice bran oil has a very good shelf life, a low pleasant odor.  My research kept doubling me back to the same ingredients.  On every point,  it seemed that a few quality ingredients would serve multiple purposes within my formula.  Chamomile seemed a natural choice for a floral scent that is calming, not over-powering.  And it could be incorporated into the herbal infusion.  Then I learned of chamomile's other properties, like being anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, antimicrobial--and also accellerates regeneration of cells! I'm not a huge proponent of essential oils, but I did use a hint of it to boost the chamomile botanical.  A third of the mix is jojoba, which is the ingredient needed to penetrate the skin and nail plate.

Then I had to decide whether this formula would remain my own special 'home brew' or whether it could be affordably sourced, produced, and resold.  Extensive research also went into comparison shopping for both price and quality of packaging and product.

The result is a quality product that I proudly offer within my facebook fan group and my Etsy storefront.  I make no medical claims beyond moisturizing skin and cuticles.  Retailing for $12 per a 10ml sealed dropper-style dispenser.

How does it smell?  No fragrance has been added, so the smell comes directly from the ingredients themselves.  It has a deeply earthy, medicinal sort of smell.  To say it is floral would be misleading unless you are familiar with chamomile essential oil itself.  Consider, that you can lotion up your entire hand with scented lotion once the cuticle oil has been applied.

Fragrance is for your NOSE; Cuticle Oil is for skin!

Use within 1 year of purchase.  Store in a cool place out of direct sunlight.

No comments: