Sunday, March 15, 2020

doTERRA Essential Oil Limbo

Two of my dear friends are struggling with ailments.  They have recently had financial set-backs and can no longer afford their beloved, high-priced doTerra oils.  They lament how effective the essential oils had been as part of their treatment. 

On a recent visit, one friend named an oil that had been particularly helpful for her, and I said, "Oh!  I have some of that!  I will share it!" She was elated! 

I dug my bottle out of my stash while she thanked me for my thoughtfulness.  I assured her that I had been on a bit of a buying spree and had more on-hand than I could use myself in a lifetime! 

When she saw the label, she stopped me. She refused the kindness since it wasn't doTerra brand.  I asked her to compare the scent and quality before making a final decision.  But she would not even hold the bottle.  She is terrified to use anything BUT doTerra.  I know first-hand how our local group preys on fear and spouts outrageous propaganda, demonizing all their competitors.  So, I try to be sympathetic.

I ask why she feels so strongly that something she hasn't tried won't work.  She stammers vaguely about the harvesting and the testing and the potency and the matchless quality (repeating propaganda she has heard but never fully understood).

I told her that I have been using various brands and have had good results with most all of them.  I read labels, sniff-test, and I compare prices, just like I do for any industry.  I showed her that the bottle I was holding from Simply Earth as one example had a lot number, and a corresponding published test and suggested that she compare it to the doTerra equivelent.   No. Nothing I said allayed any of her fears.

Since she paid for the wholesale member status to get discounts, she feels like it would be disloyal to use another brand no matter the quality. And besides, this other friend of ours is in the same boat.  Can't afford doTerra, so they are going without essential oils altogether.  And there is some comradery in that.

 I wonder how many people out there are in doTerra limbo. 

Like any MLM brand, doTerra has to maintain high standards to maintain their reputation.  But where they really shine is in MARKETING!  Oils are their product; marketing is their business.  And Young Living is just their estranged twin sister.  They did not invent essential oils, they just developed a strategy to get people to buy it at inflated prices from their trusted friends and neighbors instead of shopping a store shelf at standard retail rates.

Do your research.  Be healthy.  Be balanced.  Don't allow a commercial entity or their followers bully you.  And don't make fear-based decisions.

No comments: